How much does a Professional Chess Player make per Year/Match? Average Annual Salary Range
Professional chess has gained in popularity thanks to the fame of such legendary matches as Garry Kasparov vs. Deep Blue, the chess-playing supercomputer. The top 100 chess players in the world can earn as much as $1 million for winning chess tournaments. Lesser players may earn as much as $10,000 to $100,000 per year, most of it from tournament prizes. Only the very best players use chess playing as their full means of income. Many skilled players can still earn a living from the game by teaching and writing.
Job and Career Information Series
Learn more about the salary, benefits, education requirements, and hiring requirements of many jobs and careers in our ongoing information series.
- How Much Does an Average Teacher Get Paid/Earn Per Year?
- How Much Does an Average Writer Make Per Year?
- How Much Does an Average Website Make/Earn Per Year? Average Website Income/Profit/Earnings
- How Much Does a Petrologist Make Per Year? Average Petrologist Salary
- How Much Does a Ranji Player Make Per Year? Average Ranji Player Salary